Thursday, May 7, 2009

Flat Files !


One of my pastimes is to troll craigslist and check out "creative gigs" and art jobs and things that artists are getting rid of. All my adult artist life I've wanted flat files but was too cheap to spend the money on a new unit. Wouldn'tchya know craigslist had a post by someone near me that was selling theirs. Whoohoo ! I drove to Baltimore in our trusty pick'em up truck, to a neighborhood where I had never been and loaded the million layers of paint which had the files attached. All for a very good price I might add. That was this fall. They spent the winter in our garage waiting for warmer weather and a makeover. So, a couple quarts of stripper, several cans of paint primer and some Rustoleum paint plus several hours of scrapping,wiping,cleaning,spraying,painting....the results are to the right. It's so nice to have a place to put mat board, water color paper etc.,etc. Plus it makes a great work station for cutting mats, painting and any other flat work that needs done.....except folding laundry !

6 comments:

  1. What a score, Janet! Love what you did with the handles, too. Very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Billie ! Whew, I'm glad that job is done.Now to find a studio to put them in. Anybody want to buy some living room furniture ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I envy you! I've been wanting flat files like yours for years but didn't want to pay the big bucks to get them. You were very smart to look at Craig's List. I'll have to take a look, too. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kathy ! What a wonderful surprise this morning ! I have admired your paintings from afar awhile back with the Northeast WS (before I discovered blogging ). So as soon as I finish here I shall be following your blog too! We need to talk egg shells :)
    Hurry and check craigslist 'cause soon after I posted I saw another set of files listed. Mine are filled but I wasn't up to redoing another set just now. Also see if you have a place in your area that sells used office equipment. I had seen some when my son was setting up his business. Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous. I have always wanted some of these, and they have been out of my price point. I have looked occasionally at art gigs on Craigslist, but am not sure where you have found what artist's get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robin
    I think I may have found these under "for sale" arts and crafts. But try looking in the furniture heading also. I just found some more but they are in Fairfax, Virginia. Unless you are planning a little drive this way, it might not be cost efficient. Also look at any place that sells used office furniture. Our son had opened an office and I saw some where he bought some things. Good luck !

    ReplyDelete