Thursday, May 21, 2009












For several weeks now the term "series" has come up in conversations and articles and blogs. So I'm taking the hint from the muse spirits or whomever and adding my two cents.
I had never done a series before until about three years ago, for whatever reason. Perhaps nothing grabbed my attention enough to pursue it farther than one attempt. Perhaps it was a maturity thing, where I wasn't afraid to fail (or succeed ) at a particular subject more than once. ( Oh, the things the years teach us. ) But really I think it had more to do with the intrigue of the frozen, cracked kernels of Indian corn that had been tossed out on the deck after Thanksgiving.
I have often said the high I get from doing water colors is the process, watching the image take shape on the paper from the layers of color and the deepening values. I enjoy trying to see how deep I can get into that third dimension. So with the corn series each piece became more detailed in the shape of the kernels and the depth of the spaces in between. The first ones were merely similar shapes of flat color. Honey comb with a bad dye job. Although, I do like the one shown here with it's abstract quality. ( Does it count if it was unintentional ? ...hmm, I wonder how many artists admit to that ? )
I intend to revisit the corn soon, if I don't get distracted with the bazillion other subjects on my list. A dear friend told me that she thought I would be known for the corn paintings and I laughed. Then I delivered last years entry to the Baltimore Water Color Society's Regional show and the person checking things in exclaimed "Oh, the corn lady!"....geeze.

5 comments:

  1. I love your corn paintings, Janet! The one in your blog header is just incredible. I showed it to Robin Neudorfer who's also a follower of your blog. I think that's why she decided to 'follow' you. It's a subject that's uniquely yours, you paint them so well and besides...there's a lot worse things to be known as than the 'corn lady'. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Worse things" for sure ! Let's not even go there. :)) Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great Janet, I've seen a lot of corn paintings in watercolor, but your's are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I don't know what to say. Thanks, Nick.
    Guess ya can take the girl outta the country but....she still knows corn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey janet I think I got it. Ive updated blogspot
    to outerdesk@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete