Thursday, March 11, 2010

More Bat Wings, Twirrly & Other Things

More good news ! I was notified the other day that "Bat Wings & Twirrly Things" was chosen to be part of the Baltimore Water Color Society's Mid-Atlantic Regional show. Strange how these things play out. I like this painting for a few reasons, of course the colors and it fun to look at and find different things. But as for technical merit, it really is lacking. As it's creator, I feel I'm allowed to say that. I'm not sure at all why it was picked. There were 473 entries and I can't believe 377 others ( the show consists of 95 ) were of less interest. I have thought more than once that this could have or should have been painted in another medium. ( It still may.) Don't get me wrong, I am over joyed and excited to be included in this show ! I'm just surprised which painting was chosen. The other entry I submitted was of course Indian corn. So much for my reputation as the "Corn Lady". Ah Oh. No. I refuse to be the "Bat Lady".


7 comments:

  1. Why was this painting chosen? Because it has a wonderful abstract quality, lots of repetition with variation, excellent use of color, interesting and unique subject and it holds the viewers interest....to name a few! Congratulations. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Myrna ! My reasons for liking it as well so I guess I'm not too far off track. I'm just disappointed in the technical execution of the watercolor....for my opinion any way.
    Thank you for looking in on my rantings :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Janet! Can't wait to see it in person at the BWS show... You are an excellent painter, but modest, and that is good too. We artists are stuck in a certain situation where we have to do a lot of self-promotion because there usually aren't too many others who will do it for us. So we have to project an image of self-confidence, but walk that difficult line between bragging and being objective about ourselves... --Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw Thanks Sue ! We need to look out for each other, too ! Which is why I'll be posting photos of your gallery/studio in the next few days ! I can't wait to show the world ( well the few friends here ) your place and work !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these on is almost surrealit and abstract, it's full of energy and colors nice job that u've done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations Janet. It is a wonderful painting and must have been a test of will with all those streams of colors and I can see where at points you might wish it was of a different medium. I run into that with involved paintings. My reasoning becoming-if I had just used oil rather than watercolor I could have gotten such and such to work and vice versa.
    You did a marvelous job with a difficult idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I left a comment on your blog but I guess I left one on FB. So confusing these days. LOVE THIS ONE! Btw, what's wrong with being called the Bat Lady? You know you're a little batty.;)

    ReplyDelete